All answers must be in your own words.
1. How does (mass) incarceration affect communities, and why is this bad for children? (1-3 sentences)
2. Manning argues that we are "unduly" harming children by our incarceration system, because there are alternatives to our current system and our system is not the most effective one at preventing crime. Why does she believe that there are alternatives to our system that would be as good or better at preventing crime? (1-2 sentences)
3. Give some evidence, not discussed in the reading, that we have special moral obligations to protect children (these are special in the sense that we do not have the same sorts of duties to protect adults). (1-2 sentences)
4. Give a way in which imprisoning a parent can harm their child that would not be significantly alleviated by reducing the length of the prison sentence for the parent? (1-2 sentences)
5. One response to the considerations Manning discusses in that we'd consider reducing sentences for people simply because they are a parent and their child is likely to be harmed by the punishment. What are some (morally relevant) downsides to this suggestion (that is, what are some moral reasons against this idea)? (1-3 sentences)